Europe is reducing livestock, is this a chance for Serbia?, News
Today is World Meat Free Day. Total meat production is worth 900 billion dollars and meat substitutes worth 6 billion dollars. However, food based on plant proteins has an annual growth of 10 to 20 percent.
On the other hand, animal husbandry is decreasing. Farms are being abolished. Especially in the European Union, whose Green Agenda has marked the production of meat, milk and eggs as major polluters.
Although Serbia is in the process of joining, it is not the path we should follow. Substitute meat products based on vegetable proteins are a big niche for our agriculture, but animal husbandry must not suffer, according to Miljan Ždrale, director of the agribusiness sector of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development for Central and Southeastern Europe.
He says that we will still have to work harder in meat production to improve environmental protection standards, treatment of animals, rearing conditions and waste disposal, because companies that do not do this will bear additional tax burdens.
Soy is the most important raw material for meat and milk substitute products. The domestic company “Soja protein” became the property of the American giant precisely because of the advantage of the fact that Serbia is a country where the production of GMOs is not allowed.
Guest of Dnevnik, Miljan Ždrale, believes that this company is the Mercedes of the Serbian food sector because it can produce protein concentrates and isolates that are used in human and animal nutrition, but above all in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry, where GMOs are not allowed.
Deficit goods on the European market that we can produce in much larger quantities, in addition to sugar, are also oilseeds: sunflower, rapeseed.
Sign up for business updates & specials.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- June 4, 2023 Serbia, Is gold laying under the dust?
- June 4, 2023 Air Serbia’s popularity and traffic are increasing
- June 4, 2023 Is gold fever taking over in Serbia?