Prime Minister Ana Brnabic says it is no longer enough for Serbia just to be an investment-dependent economy.
Instead it needs an economy based on innovation and announced a faster economic growth of the country, Brnabic said on Wednesday at the closing of the Kopaonik Business Forum.
Brnabic said that the government will continue the reforms that have been initiated and will accelerate economic growth, saying that no event like the Kopaonik Business Forum hit the essence of what comes after fiscal consolidation.
Outstanding results have been achieved thanks to fiscal consolidation measures initiated by the previous government, she said.
According to her, the previous year ended with a surplus, a public debt was reduced, a three-year arrangement with the IMF was successfully completed, the exchange rate is stable, inflation is within the planned framework and the unemployment rate is dropping.
The prime minister said that last year Serbia had EUR 2.6 billion of direct foreign investments and, therefore, is a leader in the Western Balkan region.
She recalled that the World Bank declared Serbia a leader in the implementation of the reforms in South East Europe, and that the Financial Times declared our country a leader in the index of direct investment efficiency, and credit agencies improved Serbia’s rating in December 2017.
All these results have also enabled the increase in salaries and pensions, Brnabic added, and this is the basis on which the Serbian government is starting this year.
- Serbia and China sign several important documents
- Chinese investor to build 80 mln euro zinc oxide factory in Serbia
- IMF: Serbia alone received over half of region's FDIs
- Arabs to buy faltering Serbian agriculture giant
- Germany's Leoni to invest 60 mln euro in fourth factory in Serbia
- Chinese move Gorenje production from Slovenia to Serbia
- Serbia ready to become full member of CERN
- Serbia plans to build 13 mln euro car battery factory in northern
- Serbia, US sign MoU in field of infrastructure
- PPF Group outlines Telenor Serbia plans