The state gave Srbijagas a guarantee for another 225 million euros of debt, News
The state will provide a guarantee for the loan of JP “Srbijagas” in the amount of 225 million euros increased by the amount of interest and costs, it can be seen from the draft law that the Government of Serbia submitted to the assembly for consideration.
Serbia thereby committed itself to pay the debt of Srbijagas if the public company does not settle the debt within a month from the maturity of the loan.
That is why money for paying these potential debts must already be provided in each republic budget.
The government decided to guarantee the debt of “Srbijagas” due to the energy crisis and high prices of imported gas, according to the explanation of the bill.
As stated in the explanation of the proposed law, the Budget Law for 2023 foresees that the Government can decide to issue guarantees “in order to preserve financial stability, prevent the occurrence or eliminate the consequences of extraordinary circumstances” in the amount of 120 billion dinars (more than one billion euros).
Money earmarked in the budget for providing guarantees does not enter the deficit. However, as a rule, public companies previously did not repay such guaranteed loans, so these types of guarantees are likely to be a future expense for taxpayers, as warned by the Fiscal Council.
Sign up for business updates & specials.
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- March 25, 2023 Serbia, Daily turnover of the Stock Exchange 11.1 million dinars
- March 25, 2023 The plan is to develop the Pannonian Corridor project in order to strengthen the transmission system of Serbia and Hungary