Agrokor units in Serbia protected by domestic legislation, News
Serbia’s central bank, NBS, said that local companies within Croatia’s ailing retail and food concern Agrokor are protected by domestic legislation which bars the concern from using stakes in these companies as collateral for loans.
NBS noted in a statement late on Thursday that recent court decisions do not envisage the application of Croatia’s special law on companies of systemic importance known as Lex Agrokor to Agrokor companies operating in Serbia.
“The NBS highlights that courts, ex officio, take into account the binding provisions of the Law on Foreign Exchange Operations when assessing the legality of individual contractual provisions on warranty and other means of collateral issued by residents, in this case Serbian companies, in credit operations between two non-residents”, the central bank noted.
Last month, a Belgrade court rejected a motion to treat Serbian companies which are members of the Croatian concern in line with the provisions of Croatia’s special law on systemically important companies.
The Serbian court turned down a request lodged by Agrokor’s receiver, Ante Ramljak, which could have seen Agrokor’s units in Serbia fall under the Lex Agrokor.
Agrokor’s units in Serbia include ice cream maker Frikom, butter producer Dijamant and retailer Mercator-S.
Mercator-S has some 11,000 employees in Serbia and works with 650 suppliers in the country.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- May 27, 2023 Serbia, Demand for loans was reduced in the first quarter of this year
- May 26, 2023 Serbia, Zijin Group and the port of Bar in cooperation through the transport of copper
- May 26, 2023 Serbian friendship with Qatar will continue through new ICT projects