Damage to crops from drought to exceed USD 1bn, News
The drought has reduced agricultural output by about 20 percent compared to the average annual yield, and by 30 percent compared to the previous, record year.
That is why the lost value exceeds a billion dollars, says Milan Prostran, an agriculture expert.
He told the Beta agency that this damage from this year’s hot weather should be compared to years that had the average yield, “because it is more correct than making a comparison to a record year, like the previous one.”
“The average annual agriculture production value in Serbia ranges from five to six billion dollars,” Prostran said.
He added that by the end of the season, the situation could improve – but could also worsen – and that the rain, which fell on Saturday in much of the country, has helped the plants recover a little.
“High temperatures have mostly destroyed corn, that makes up 20-25 percent of the total agricultural production, and it is grown on 1.1 million hectares,” Prostran said.
He stressed that “due to climate change and the inability of the state to finance irrigation on larger areas,” a solution for sustainable agriculture should be sought in autumn sowing on a twice larger area than the average so far – from 500,000 to 600,000 hectares.
“Within two weeks, the deadline for autumn sowing begins, so everything that can withstand low winter temperatures – wheat, oats, barley, rye and rapeseed – should be planted,” Prostran said.
This expert added that the spring sowing should begin “a month early to avoid high temperatures and drought.”
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- May 27, 2023 Serbia, Demand for loans was reduced in the first quarter of this year
- May 26, 2023 Serbia, Zijin Group and the port of Bar in cooperation through the transport of copper
- May 26, 2023 Serbian friendship with Qatar will continue through new ICT projects