Drilling for New Geothermal Capacity in Northern Serbia Set for 2017, News
Geothermal drilling activity will begin next year in northern Serbia as part of an agreement made by Serbian energy company NIS.
The company will work with Belgrade-based geothermal development firm Betec to advance geothermal energy projects in the region.
“NIS aims to lead the growth of renewable energy in Serbia,” NIS CEO Kirill Kravchenko said in an Oct. 26 statement. “For years, [we’ve developed] a large number of energy efficiency projects, especially projects of cogeneration — electricity produced from gas. In cooperation with our partners, we will further develop our projects in the exploitation of geothermal resources and contribute to increasing of production of energy from renewable resources, and also contribute to energy independence of Serbia.”
NIS said the companies will jointly develop geothermal active areas in northern Serbia by drilling new production wells and building power plants. Commissioning of the first power plant is planned for 2018. According to NIS, the projects will include combined heat and power plants.
Betec was recently purchased by KS Orka Renewables. KS Orka is a joint venture of Zhejiang Kaishan Compressor Co. and Hugar Orka.
“KS Orka aims to be the leading global developer and operator of geothermal projects,” Kaishan CEO Kevin Cao said. “KS Orka has prioritized investments in emerging economies and is targeting development of 500 MW of power generation capacity over the next five years.”
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- May 27, 2023 Serbia, Demand for loans was reduced in the first quarter of this year
- May 26, 2023 Serbia, Zijin Group and the port of Bar in cooperation through the transport of copper
- May 26, 2023 Serbian friendship with Qatar will continue through new ICT projects