Nevsun off to the races after eye-popping Serbia assays, News
Timok copper project continues to boost the stock of the Vancouver-based company with a 5% jump on Wednesday following the latest set of drilling results from the Serbian property.
By the close in New York, Nevsun shares changed hands at $3.30, up 4.8% on the day, and in after hours trade investors continued to chase the counter higher affording it a market capitalization of $987 million. Nevsun is up 21.8% in value this year.
Nevsun highlighted new assay results from on-going drilling of the super high-grade Upper Zone at Timok, part of 50,000 metres $40 million program through 2017:
– Drilling continues to confirm continuity and the high-grade nature of the Upper Zone
– New massive and semi-massive sulphide intersections include:
TC160121: 182.3m @ 4.17% Cu, 4.80g/t Au, including 40.5m @ 11.61% Cu, 12.9g/t Au
TC160119: 86.2m @ 9.47% Cu, 8.83g/t Au, including 46.5m @ 15.61% Cu, 11.29g/t Au
TC160117: 98.8m @ 9.82% Cu, 8.86g/t Au, including 33.0m @ 20.04% Cu, 14.35g/t Au
TC160114: 171.0m @ 4.94% Cu, 5.21g/t Au, including 10.5m @ 11.09% Cu, 17.82g/t Au and 24.0m @ 10.27% Cu, 6.71g/t Au, and 7.5m @ 7.88% Cu, 3.78g/t Au
– Additional 18,500m of drilling in progress to further improve confidence in the resource
Nevsun CEO, Cliff Davis said the assays represent about 25% of the planned in-fill drilling designed to confirm and upgrade the resource of the Upper Zone mineralization and that the pre-feasibility study scheduled for September 2017 is “progressing well”:
“Recent meetings with both the Prime Minister of Serbia and the Minister of Mines and Energy have demonstrated the State’s very strong support for international investment and in particular, the development of the Timok Project.”
The Upper Zone at Timok, located in the eastern part of the Eastern European country near the Bor mining and smelting complex, boasts copper and gold content consisting of 1.7 million tonnes of indicated resource grading 13.5% copper and 10.4 g/t gold and 35.0 million tonnes of inferred resource grading 2.9% copper and 1.7 g/t gold.
Nevsun completed a takeover of Reservoir Minerals in June in a $440 million cash and shares deal which provided the companies 100% ownership in the upper zone of Timok, which had previously been owned by Reservoir and Freeport McMoRan. Nevsun shareholders own two-thirds of the combined company.
Nevsun and joint venture partner Freeport is also undertaking a $20 million drill program at the Lower Zone at Timok which is characterized by porphyry-style mineralization.
Nevsun’s sole operating mine is the Bisha complex in Eritrea. Nevsun owns 60% (the Eritrean government owns the rest) of the $250 million Bisha mine which started operations as a gold-silver producer in 2010. Three years later Bisha underwent a $110 million expansion to switch to copper concentrate production from supergene ore.
This year the company pivoted again to expand flotation capacity to produce zinc concentrate with shipments starting in September. Zinc is the best performing metal this year with a 70% jump in price in 2016 to $2,760 a tonne, near levels last seen in 2008.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- June 4, 2023 Serbia, Is gold laying under the dust?
- June 4, 2023 Air Serbia’s popularity and traffic are increasing
- June 4, 2023 Is gold fever taking over in Serbia?