Serbia wants electricity potentials in Macedonia, News
Commenting on the claims that Serbia intends to buy The Electric Power Industry of Republic of Srpska, Aleksandar Vucic, the President of Serbia denied that yesterday, ie he pointed out that the initiative of the authorities in Serbia and Republika Srpska to build a joint venture for the construction of hydroelectric power plants on the Drina was misinterpreted.
Vucic added that Serbia is more interested in buying other electricity distribution companies in the region than in The Electric Power Industry of Republic of Srpska, and added that “Belgrade will never do anything that would not be in the interest of Srpska.”
As a reminder, Danas wrote these days that the MP in the Club of the Serbian Democratic Party in the Assembly of the Republic of Srpska, Nebojsa Vukanovic, asked the authorities of the Republika Srpska whether it was true that they intended to sell the Electric Power Industry of the Republic of Srpska to Serbia.
He added that the authorities of the Republic of Srpska “are destroying every company from the system of the Electric Power Industry of the Republic of Srpska in order to sell it to the President of Serbia, Aleksandar Vucic” because of his support in the elections.
In the text published in our newspaper, the expert public stated that the purchase of The Electric Power Industry of Republic of Srpska would be a good investment that would improve the work of The Electric Power Industry of Serbia and that the only reason the opposition in The Electric Power Industry of Republic of Srpska opposes it is that it would strengthen its budget.
Danas’ interlocutor, who wished to remain anonymous and is well acquainted with the situation in the energy sector of the region, points out that The Electric Power Industry of Republic of Srpska, except in the part related to the construction of new hydroelectric power plants, is not interesting for Belgrade to buy.
Instead, according to our interlocutor, Serbia is ready for joint electricity projects with Hungary, as well as the eventual purchase of electric power companies in Macedonia.
– The Electric Power Industry of Republic of Srpska, just like Serbia, has a lot of thermal power plants that are outdated and will need to be shut down in the future. Accordingly, Belgrade would not achieve anything by purchasing that electricity company because it is not based mostly on the work of hydro potential and other renewable energy sources. That is why plans are being made with Hungary about possible acquisitions in the region when it comes to energy, focused primarily on hydro potential – our interlocutor explains.
Slobodan Ruzic, director of the consulting company Energy Saving Group, told Danas that it would be much more profitable for Serbia to think about building replacement production capacities in the countries instead of buying electric power companies from the region.
– The purchase of electric power companies in the region is a commercial thing. There is no need for that, because cooperation can be made, for example, as Serbia had in the past when it comes to hydro potentials, with Montenegro. However, if the price is favorable, the purchase of one of the electric power companies in the region can be a solution, because that would strengthen the Electric Power Industry of Serbia. Such a unified system would have lower costs, which would affect the improvement of business results – says our interlocutor, Danas reports.
- November 27, 2022 Serbia, “Indebtedness is growing”, National Bank says
- November 27, 2022 The burden of the crisis is being borne by the state, Minister of Finance says
- November 27, 2022 Will the suspension of gas supplies to Ukraine affect Serbia?