“Banking system resistant to shocks” – central bank chief, News
Despite external challenges, including Brexit, the Serbian banking system has remained stable and resistant to disruptions from the international environment.
National Bank of Serbia (NBS) Governor Jorgovanka Tabakovic said this on Wednesday.
“Following constant pressure at the end of last year and the beginning of 2016, an enormous shock like Brexit was what it took for everyone to see the significance and commitment of the NBS and the role of the central bank in maintaining stability,” Tabakovic said at the presentation of the 2015 annual report on the stability of the financial system.
Turmoils in the international environment have also affected Serbia as a small, open economy, she noted, adding that the NBS had not waited for the country to become “swept by waves of uncertainty,” but reacted in a timely manner in cooperation with the Serbian government.
“We acted in a proactive and unbiased manner, while the efficiency of interventions has increased,” Tabakovic said, adding that international portfolio investors were confident in Serbia’s government and economic stability and indicated a readiness for long-term investments in dinar-denominated securities.
NBS interventions have eased the external and internal imbalances, improving conditions for sustainable growth, she said.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- May 27, 2023 Serbia, Demand for loans was reduced in the first quarter of this year
- May 26, 2023 Serbia, Zijin Group and the port of Bar in cooperation through the transport of copper
- May 26, 2023 Serbian friendship with Qatar will continue through new ICT projects