Fiat to retain around 2,500 workers in Serbia – report, News
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Serbia will retain a 2,500-strong workforce following a voluntary departure program.
Those who have opted to leave are set to receive their redundancy pays on July 28, Tanjug is reporting, citing Serbia’s state broadcaster RTS.
Around 600 of the 1,500 people working for the company’s subcontractors have also decided to leave, says Zoran Markovic, the leader of the Kragujevac-based Independent Union.
Fiat’s Kragujevac plant currently operates in two shifts, producing around 400 vehicles a day.
At a meeting with Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic, Director Silvia Vernetti said earlier that the voluntary departure program had been a complete success.
Fiat, which has around 3,200 workers in Kragujevac, announced in mid-June it would close one shift, prompting union warnings that up to 900 workers at the car plant itself and 600 others employed by subcontractors could lose their jobs.
For instance, workers who have worked at the plant for three years can now count on a redundancy pay of around 4,800 euros.
The Serbian government has a 33 pct stake in Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Serbia.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- May 27, 2023 Serbia, Demand for loans was reduced in the first quarter of this year
- May 26, 2023 Serbia, Zijin Group and the port of Bar in cooperation through the transport of copper
- May 26, 2023 Serbian friendship with Qatar will continue through new ICT projects