Hellenic Sugar Industry calls off sale of factories in Serbia, News
Greek company Hellenic Sugar Industry has decided to call off the sale of its two factories in Serbia after the bids received were deemed unacceptable, local media reported on Wednesday.
The bids submitted by Austrian food group Agrana and a consortium of France’s Cristal Union and Croatia’s Viro Tvornica for the factories located in Crvenka and Zabalj in an auction launched by Hellenic in January have been declared too low, news portal Dnevnik reported.
Agrana offered between 50 and 51 million euro ($58.1-59.3 million), while Cristal Union offered to pay only 25 million euro for the sugar factories valued by Hellenic at some 85 million euro, Dnevnik noted, quoting the company’s media representative Christos Alexopoulos.
“We will not be issuing another public invitation to collect offers from interested investors, but now plan to improve sugar production,” Alexopoulos said.
In May, Antonios Xatzidiamantis, president of Hellenic Sugar Industry, said nine investors from Western Europe and Serbia had qualified for the final stage of the tender and all of them were expressing strong interest in the purchase of the sugar mills.
In July, however, only three bidders remained – Agrana, Cristal Union and Viro, and Serbian vertically integrated conglomerate MK Group.
According to Alexopoulos, MK Group had lodged its bid in conjunction with Agrana.
Hellenic Sugar Industry owns 92.6% and 87.5% of the capital of the companies operating the two factories, respectively.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- June 8, 2023 Serbia, The credit activity of banks towards the non-monetary sector continued to slow down
- June 8, 2023 The Government of Serbia has defined a quota in the market premium system for solar power plants
- June 8, 2023 Serbia, Chinese Zijin Copper is expanding: it owns a five percent stake in Belt and Road Institute