OCCRP Partner CINS Examines China Coal Plant Deal, News
OCCRP Partner CINS (Center for Investigative Reporting Serbia) has released a two-part series of articles showing how a Chinese financed and built coal plant is endangering both the country’s environment and its fiscal health.
The Kostolac B power plant, near the border with Romania, was expanded without consulting Bucharest. The loan to add to the lignite burning plant was signed in 2015, despite a government commitment to develop sustainable energy.
The expansion of the plant via US $608.2 million loan from the Export-Import Bank of China also raises the possibility of serious financial consequences for Serbia in the future. Among other commitments, the agreement obligates Serbia to put down its own national budget as collateral and to comply with Chinese laws in the event of a dispute.
“This agreement opens the door for China to make moves that don’t benefit Serbia”, CINS journalist Milica Saric said.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- June 8, 2023 Serbia, The credit activity of banks towards the non-monetary sector continued to slow down
- June 8, 2023 The Government of Serbia has defined a quota in the market premium system for solar power plants
- June 8, 2023 Serbia, Chinese Zijin Copper is expanding: it owns a five percent stake in Belt and Road Institute