Serbia will receive EU grant to rebuild railway, News
Serbia is soon to receive EU money worth €600 million to reconstruct the Belgrade-Niš railway by 2029, making it the largest single grant Serbia has ever received from the bloc.
The contract for the reconstruction of the Belgrade-Niš railway will cost €2.2 billion, of which about €600 million is to come from an EU grant, Demostat has learned.
Leading the construction financially is the European Investment Bank, which has approved a loan of €1.1 billion. The European bank for reconstruction and development has, for its part, allocated €550 million, and part of the reconstruction will be financed from Serbia’s budget.
The largest grant ever comes from the Western Balkans Investment Framework.
The reconstruction of 230 kilometres of the railway will be one of the most significant projects of that type in Serbia. It should be finished by 2029, and the trains are expected to travel at up to 200 kilometres per hour.
The Belgrade-Niš railway is part of the Transeuropean transport network, which is why it is in the EU’s interest to modernise it.
Many routes leading to the European Union go through Serbia, and the part that will be reconstructed is considered to be the backbone of Serbia’s railway network and a key route in connecting Western Europe to the Western Balkans, and on to Greece and Turkey.
Sign up for business updates & specials.
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- March 31, 2023 Serbia: Farmers’ associations are dissatisfied with the way in which the eAgrar system is implemented
- March 31, 2023 Serbia, Export growth in February 14.9 percent compared to the same month in 2022
- March 31, 2023 Serbia, New toll prices apply from tomorrow