Serbia must restructure or liquidate state companies – IMF, News
It is crucial for fiscal stabilization in Serbia that state enterprises be restructured into becoming sustainable, says James Roaf.
Alternatively they should be liquidated, in order to prevent the accumulation of losses, Beta quoted the chief of the International Monetary Fund’s mission in Serbia as telling the Danas daily.
“In cases like Resavica or RTB Bor they are companies located in less developed regions, so the restructuring plans have to be gradual and take welfare implications into consideration. Support to these companies in the future should be secured through transparent budget subsidies, instead of the accumulation of debts. The government promised to deal with the problems of these companies,” Roaf said.
He added that a proper analysis should be done to determine which parts of the RTB were creating losses, and then close them down.
“That company needs a more professional approach to management, in order to prevent the accumulation of losses and debts, and to find ways to reduce the excess staff,” Roaf said.
Commenting on the situation in Petrohemija, he said that it was under restructuring, which should lead to it no longer being a burden to the state.
“Azotara is a difficult case. It should not be subsidized in the future. We agreed that gas should only be delivered to them on the basis of full payment in advance,” Roaf stressed, adding that Petrohemija and Azotara could generate costs which far exceed their economic benefit.
- May 11, 2023 Mining Industry, Science and Communications, bridging the gaps
- May 11, 2023 Communicating Energy, new tech industries communications
- May 9, 2023 Serbia economy briefing: Transformation of “Elektroprivreda Srbija”
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials, the advantages of Serbia as materials supplier
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- February 28, 2023 Serbian exploitation miner Belkalhan could become EU primary supplier of Graphite critical raw material
- February 28, 2023 Calcite/calcium carbonate premium quality supplier from Serbia opening supply contracts for 24,25, pharmaceutical/chemical/food processing industry opportunity for JV
- February 16, 2023 Serbian Belkalhan calcite & graphite mining developer invites JV partners for joint critical raw materials exploitation
- February 15, 2023 Petroprocess to modernize EPS power plant CEMS system with state of the art equipment
- May 27, 2023 Serbia, Demand for loans was reduced in the first quarter of this year
- May 26, 2023 Serbia, Zijin Group and the port of Bar in cooperation through the transport of copper
- May 26, 2023 Serbian friendship with Qatar will continue through new ICT projects