Serbia will be the second largest producer of copper and gold in Europe, News
The Cukaru Peki mine will be opened in the fall and it will be the first green mine in our country, thanks to which Serbia will become the second producer of copper and gold in Europe, said today the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Mining and Energy Zorana Mihajlovic in Metovnica.
– Thanks to the technologies of the 21st century, it is possible to deal with mining in an ecological way – said Mihajlovic after signing the contract on the construction of the water supply system in Metovnica.
She added that Serbia currently produces five percent of copper in Europe, and that after the opening of the Cukaru Peki mine, it will be in second place in terms of production of this metal after Poland.
Mihajlovic added that a smelter in Bor will be opened in August, which will work according to much higher environmental standards.
– 20 years ago, there were ideas for RTB Bor to be closed, which would bring this whole area into a big problem. Fortunately, with the engagement of the government, the president and Zijin’s investments, that has completely changed – she said, Vesti Online reports.
- August 9, 2022 EPS becomes a joint-stock company
- August 8, 2022 What will the free trade agreement with China bring to Serbia
- August 7, 2022 Serbian citizens are the first to invest in crypto